[jruby] Deoptimization Strategy Document

Thomas E Enebo tom.enebo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 03:59:59 JST 2017

@subbuss and I got together this Monday and worked out what I think is a
pretty simple de-optimization strategy.  By Simple, I do not mean trivial
but much less complicated than I originally envisioned things.  I invite
anyone interested to read and poke holes in this (or provide other ideas):

https://github.com/jruby/jruby/wiki/DeoptimizationStrategy

The basic gist is we transfer control midstream to an older safe version of
the method.  The assumptions we have made for dumping state ends up working
because we never repeat using a temp variable for more than one thing.  So
we can just reassign from jvm locals back to the temps we read them from
and it should just work (knock on wood).

-Tom

--
blog: http://blog.enebo.com       twitter: tom_enebo
mail: tom.enebo at gmail.com