[jruby] [ANN] JRuby 1.7.24 Released

changepoint_advi.fischer at extaccount.com changepoint_advi.fischer at extaccount.com
Mon Jan 25 18:56:10 JST 2016

>If you look at the program group for JRuby 1.7.24 you will see we have three irb launchers for 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0.
> Windows for some reason promotes one as a "promoted" item under Start.  I am guessing maybe it just
>uses the first one it finds in the program group.

>So we can try rearranging the installer for irb (1.9.3) is first item in the group but I am not really sure what
>heuristic windows uses for that.  But for reference we suport 1.8.7 and version 1.9.3 depending on
> command-line flags.  These extra start items are convenience clickies...
>-Tom

 I thought that the installer explicitly was programmed to place this item into the start menu, but from what you say, this doesn't seem to be the case. I don't think rearranging is the way to go. This "feature" of Windows may even be different between Windows version. Maybe the simplest would be to explain this behaviour of Windows during installation - either as part of the install program, or in a readme.txt, which summarizes useful-to-know peculiarities, when running JRuby on Windows. This could then include also information on what is needed to know when running JRuby from a Cygwin environment.

Ronald