[jruby] runScriptlet return value question (documentation is unclear)

changepoint_advi.fischer at extaccount.com changepoint_advi.fischer at extaccount.com
Tue Jan 5 23:48:00 JST 2016

I find the documentation of ScriptingContainer.runScriptlet a bit unclear. It says:

   public Object runScriptlet(String script)

   Evaluates a script under the current scope (perhaps the top-level scope) and returns a result only if a script returns a value. Right after the parsing, the script is evaluated once.

How is the wording  "returns a result only if a script returns a value" to be understood?

(1) "if a script returns a value" -> Since every Ruby Script returns a value (even if the value is nil), I guess this means "if the script can't be executed". Right?

(2) "returns a result only" -> Does it mean, that, if (1) does not happen (i.e. error when running the script, or whatever), null is returned, or is it meant that some RuntimeException is thrown?

Ronald