[jruby] jruby.jar Windows/Linux compatibility

christian m.kristian at web.de
Mon Jan 4 23:23:01 JST 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 2:22 PM, <changepoint_advi.fischer at extaccount.com>
wrote:

> > it is the same jar, you might be better using jruby-complete.jar
>
> Thanks a lot for your explanation. Just for clarification: You mean the
> "jruby-complete" from the JRuby download page, for instance
> jruby-complete-1.7.23.jar?

yes

> I was already wondering, what this is used for. For example, this file has
> - among other stuff - also a jruby.exe in it, which I don't need at run
> time (or do I?).

no jruby-complete.jar does not have any unix or windows launchers. you can
execute it with java -jar jruby-complete.jar

but otherwise it is a complete jruby distribution.

> So your suggestion is basically, that I use this jruby-complete, as it is,
> instead of the jruby.jar alone?
>
> > or the org.jruby:jruby artifact for java application with "embedded"
> jruby.
>
> Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand this suggestion. My
> experience comes mainly from (plain) Ruby, with a touch of Java and JRuby.
> What does "artifact" mean in this context (I know the word as something
> being produced by a process by, say, make, rake, ant or Jenkins)? I
> googeled for this term and found the link
>
>    http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jruby/jruby-artifacts/1.7.23
>
> but on this page there doesn't seem to be something which can be
> downloaded, just a tiny XML snippet.

this is the artifact I was talking about:

http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jruby/jruby

but you would need a dependency manager (maven, ivy, gradle, etc)
 to ensure you have them all.

- christian