[jruby] jruby.jar Windows/Linux compatibility

changepoint_advi.fischer at extaccount.com changepoint_advi.fischer at extaccount.com
Mon Jan 4 22:22:10 JST 2016

> it is the same jar, you might be better using jruby-complete.jar

Thanks a lot for your explanation. Just for clarification: You mean the "jruby-complete" from the JRuby download page, for instance  jruby-complete-1.7.23.jar? I was already wondering, what this is used for. For example, this file has - among other stuff - also a jruby.exe in it, which I don't need at run time (or do I?).

So your suggestion is basically, that I use this jruby-complete, as it is, instead of the jruby.jar alone?

> or the org.jruby:jruby artifact for java application with "embedded" jruby.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand this suggestion. My experience comes mainly from (plain) Ruby, with a touch of Java and JRuby. What does "artifact" mean in this context (I know the word as something being produced by a process by, say, make, rake, ant or Jenkins)? I googeled for this term and found the link

   http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jruby/jruby-artifacts/1.7.23

but on this page there doesn't seem to be something which can be downloaded, just a tiny XML snippet.